Tandoori Tofu Tikka Wraps are sure to even please the Tofu skeptics! Tandoori Paneer- a soft, spongy & chewy cheese- marinated in spices & cooked over tandoor oven/grill is a quintessential Indian cuisine favorite. If you love tandoori paneer tikka, the tandoori tofu tikka is a game changer! And now I share my secret sauce...it is the type of Tofu - Super firm tofu (not extra firm) available in most grocery stores as Wildwood brand or at #Traderjoes High Protein Tofu. Yes, it has twice the protein (14 gm/serving) of regular tofu and the texture is very close to that of paneer! Tofu soaks up all the flavors of the marinade, so spice it up and taste the magic. With tofu you get the check on nutrition, flavor & texture.
If you can’t find super firm or high-protein tofu, you can use extra-firm tofu. If you do use extra-firm tofu, just make sure to press the water out of it. Gently squeeze as much water out as possible, wrap the tofu in kitchen towels or paper towel and leave for at least an hour or more. Change the paper or kitchen towels couple of times in between. While the tofu is being pressed you can finish the prep work.
#Traderjoes High Protein or Super Firm Tofu- 1 block drain and pat dry with a kitchen towel
Large Red Onion – Large diced
Vegan Yogurt (I use Kite hill) – 4 tbsp
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Olive Oil- 1-2 tsp
Lemon/Lime juice- 1 tbsp
Tandoori spice- 1 tbsp or Make your own spice mix- ½ tsp turmeric, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp Deghi/Kashmiri Mirch, 1 tsp garam masala, 2 tsp Kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves, 1 tsp salt
Salt - 1 tsp (adjust to taste)
Cilantro-Mint- Yogurt Chutney
Vegan Yogurt -1/2 cup
Cilantro leaves -1/2 cup
Mint leaves -1/4th cup
Hot small chili pepper- 1 (add more or less on depending on the desired level of heat)
Ginger – 1 tsp minced
Salt- ½ tsp (adjust to taste)
1. Mix the above ingredients to a smooth paste in a high speed blender, store in a container and refrigerate till ready to use.
Directions for Tandoori Tofu Tikka
1. Drain & pat dry tofu on a clean kitchen towel. Cut into 1/4th inch slices, one block will make about 10 slices. Arrange the slices on a small sheet pan.
2. Prepare the tandoori paste. You can use the ready tandoori spice mix or combine the spices listed above in a bowl. To the bowl with spices, mix vegan yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, oil, salt & kasuri methi.
3. To marinate the tofu, brush the paste on to one side of all the tofu slices, flip the slices and repeat the same on the other side. In the remaining paste mix the large diced onions and set aside. Refrigerate the marinated tofu & onions for at least ½ hour to overnight, longer the better.
4. Heat a grill pan. Once the pan is hot, line up the marinated slices of tofu on the pan. Cook about 2 mins each side till you see nice charred grill marks and the marinade has dried. Next cook the onions on the same griddle.
5. To assemble the wrap: On a warm pita bread or a wrap, 1. spread the cilantro-mint-yogurt chutney 2. top with lettuce, pickled red cabbage, onions and two slices of tofu 3. Drizzle some more chutney on the tofu, wrap it up and enjoy!
6. You can also enjoy as a sandwich or cut long strips of the tofu and add to a salad.