The "Real" Plant-Based Burger
Updated: Aug 17, 2021
It literally took a neuroscientist to build this plant-based burger! If you've tried Plantology's signature burgers you'd believe that:) I like to call this a "blank slate burger." Using the basic ingredients listed below you can create our version or add your own touch of spices, veggies, grains to fit your palate. So here I share the secret of how to build your own plant-based burger using "real" whole ingredients.
•Chickpeas, canned or cooked- 1.5 cups drained and rinsed
•Quinoa- 1 cup cooked (1/4th cup dry cooked in ½ cup water)
•Gluten Free Rolled Oats -1/3rd cup (prepare a coarse flour in a food processor or blender)
•Yellow Onion- 1/2 cup diced
•Garlic- 2-3 cloves minced
Olive Oil- 1 tsp
•Apple Cider Vinegar- 2 tsp
•Spices-ground cumin -1 tsp, smoked paprika 1 tsp, chili powder 1/4th to ½ tsp
•Fresh herbs-cilantro or parsley
•Greens-Spinach, Kale 1 cup
•Flax Egg- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water)
•Salt- 1 tsp
•Optional-Your favorite BBQ sauce-2tbsp, Chipotle Chiles in adobo sauce 1 pepper + 2 tsp of sauce, jalapeño, walnuts chopped 1/4th cup, sunflower seeds 1/4th cup, hemp seeds 2-3 tbsp. .
1. Prepare your Flax egg- in a small bowl mix 1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water and leave it aside. In about 5 mins you'll see a stringy, egg-like mix.
2. In a small pan heat 1 tsp olive oil and saute onions and garlic for 3-4 mins.
3. Add apple cider vinegar and cook for 1-2 mins.
4. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool.
5. In a food processor add the chickpeas, quinoa, herbs, greens, jalapeños and or any optional ingredients that you plant use.
6. Pulse the mix 3-4 times till the chick peas are crumbly and everything is mixed together to form a loose meal. Do not over process other wise it become a paste.
7. In a mixing bowl add the coarse oat flour, spices and salt. Using a spatula fold the chickpea mixture into the oat- spice mix.
8. Add the flax egg to the above mix and combine everything.
9. Form patties -about 4-6 patties. Heat a pan and sear the patties 2 mins each side till they brown and crispy.
10 . Enjoy as a burger or just patty on top of greens & our signature Cilantro-Lime Cashew dressing (recipe below).
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, and don’t forget to tag a photo #plantologyfuel on Instagram.
Cilantro-Lime Cashew Dressing
· Cashew- 1/2 cup (soak in water for 2-3 hours or 30 mins covered in hot water drain and rinse)
· Water-1/2 cup
· Jalapeno-1/2 or 3-4 slices
· Cilantro-1 cup leaves and tender stems
· Garlic- 1 clove
· Lime- 2-3 tbsp
· Ground cumin - 1/2 tsp
· Salt-1/2 tsp or to taste
Put all the ingredients in a high speed blender and blend till smooth. Enjoy with burgers or as a dressing on salads.